Pages

Thursday 7 July 2011

The sum of its parts...



Just a quick post - no time to write much today, but here's a picture of progress so far with the 'caves' (with the original model lurking in the background).  The sculpture is stable but the whole thing has a slight backward lean, so to be on the safe side I'm making some additional supporting caves for the rear.  I have to keep the sculpture completely wrapped in plastic for now so that it doesn't get too dry before I add the caves to the back.  Drying of a large, multi-component work like this is quite a difficult and slow process - it can't be rushed as each part must dry evenly and equally, so as not to shrink faster than its neighbouring parts and thus cause the kind of stresses that might result in cracks.

I reckon I'm looking at around 2 weeks drying time for this piece - at least.  Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment